XSchema 1.0 proposals, preparing the ground

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Jun 30 19:41:34 BST 1998

Ron Bourret wrote:
>John Cowan wrote:
>
>> 1) I propose adding an ID attribute to all XSchema elements. This will
allow
>> adding links that refer to XSchema elements remotely. This does not affect
>> the Ref element, which continues to refer using NMTOKENs.

>Did this ever get implemented?  I'm looking at reuse strategies and
>definitely think that we need it.

This hasn't been implemented; discussion on it never really took off.  It's a
fairly trivial piece to add. I worry that having both an ID and a name may
seem confusing, and may be unnecessary since you can refer to pieces through
XPointer by element type/attribute value and not just ID.

If you think it's worth it, by all means, we can do it. Opinions?

126 Birchwood Drive #2
Ithaca, NY 14850
607 266 7071
http://members.aol.com/simonstl