Q: Using XML entities for href's

Steffen Rodig rodig at sdm.de
Mon Mar 2 16:33:32 GMT 1998

> At 03:53 PM 3/2/98 +0100, Steffen Rodig wrote:
>>In my xml based application I want to write xml documents with some
>>kind of indirect links, since I don't know the exact location of a
>>link target at the time a document is created and stored into a
>>repository. I got the idea to use the entity concept of xml for doing
>>this,
> [...]
>><?XML VERSION="1.0"?>
>><!DOCTYPE CP-Document PUBLIC "-//SDM SHORE//DTD CP-Document//EN" [
>><!ENTITY aRef SYSTEM "http://aServer/aDocument#anElement">
>>]>
>><aTag xml-link=simple href=aRef>content</aTag>

> We have an almost identical challenge, with the added qualifications that

> a) all our pages are customized and generated on the fly, out of the
> repository;
> b) we need to generate HTML, so that pages can be viewed and navigated
> with today's HTML browsers.

Does this mean, that you create HTML out of data structures that are in
no way related to [X|HT]ML?

We want to stick with XML in the repository 'cause we believe that XML-
enabled browsers will become available soon. At the moment we plan an
on-the-fly conversion to HTML as well.

XML is not our intermediate format, it's going to be our basic format
for the documents in the repository with elements forming objects
and links forming relations among them.

> I see no reason why your approach wouldn't work with XML browsers.

Ok, but is it valid XML, i.e. will a XML processor find the URL from
the symbolic identifier?

Best,
--
Steffen Rodig                |s  |d &|m  |  software design & management
Steffen.Rodig at sdm.de         |   |   |   |  GmbH & Co. KG

                  Leben ist das, was einem zustoesst,
         waehrend man auf die Erfuellung seiner Traeume wartet.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)