XML-Viewer

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Wed Mar 11 15:04:07 GMT 1998

At 03:42 PM 3/11/98 +0100, Andrea Anders wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want to know why I need special XML-viewers (written in java like msie),
>when every SGML-Viewer should be able to show XML-pages. Can anyone
>explain me please !?

There are two problems with viewing XML documents with SGML viewers:

1. XML requires a special SGML declaration. Not all SGML viewers support
alterntative SGML declarations (Panorama and all Synex Viewport-based
viewers do not, for example).

2. Unless an SGML viewer supports the WebSGML TC, it may not recognize a
well-formed XML document as also being an SGML document.

Because PIs in XML end with "?>" instead of the default ">" of SGML, the
XML declaration PI may be enough to cause some SGML viewers to reject the
document entirely.

Having said all this, I would be very supprised if there are any
actively-developed SGML viewers that don't support XML within the next 6 to
12 months. It's not like it's hard to do.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)