XML2ApplObject Framework

Dmitri Kondratiev dima at paragraph.com
Wed Mar 11 21:21:08 GMT 1998

A few more comments I have on "XML Documents Are Objects! (or "Killing OO
Softly With XML")" thread :

I need __XML to problem domain object mapping API__ that will work not only
in Lark, but other parsers too. To say more, I need this to work not only in
parsers which work results in object _tree structure_, but in _event-based
parsers_, that use SAX API, for example.
In other words, I want XML2ApplObject Framework (such as Coins)
*independent* from XML parser used. That was the point in my previous
message about Coins vs DOM.
The main point here is that my appl. may use different APIs to parse XML *at
once*. So, I'd like to have a freedom to use DOM to do "regular" staff with
my XML document and Coins to do *application specific* XML2ApplObject
mapping. In this case, I will certainly want Coins to use object tree that
DOM will produce. This will allow to avoid duplicating functionality in the
code. In the other case I'd like to use SAX  for "regular" work and
naturally will want Coins to work with SAX. From this follows a simple
conclusion:
- XML2ApplObject framework should not parse XML itself.
- XML2ApplObject should be configurable in run time to work with different
XML parsing APIs. This can be done, in simple, case with factories, as well
as other techniques that OI (Open Implementation) exploits.

Dima

Dmitri Kondratiev
dima at paragraph.com
102401.2457 at compuserve.com