XML Viewer for displaying XML inside a Java Applicati

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Wed Mar 18 21:13:33 GMT 1998

NICHOLAS RYBERG wrote:

>      I've been contemplating developing a XML browser (so to speak) for VB.
>       I would hope that it is as easy to to in Java.  Frankly, it's just a
>      lot of rule based parsing.

Creating an XML browser has two halves: parsing and displaying. Parsing
is "just a lot of rule based parsing", but the rules are a little more
tricky than in your average programming language. Displaying is easy if
you just use a tree control, but if you want a view that is more like a
"real document" view then you have to do a lot more work. After all, XML
documents do not typically carry style information within them so you
must get that from some other format (the stylesheet). Implementing a
good stylesheet language efficiently is non-trivial.

"You have the wrong number."
"Eh? Isn't that the Odeon?"
"No, this is the Great Theater of Life. Admission is free, but the
taxation is mortal. You come when you can, and leave when you must. The
show is continuous. Good-night." -- Robertson Davies, "The Cunning Man"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)