XML-to-legacy-DBs gateway needed

Hans-Guenter Stein Hans-Guenter.Stein at fast.de
Fri Mar 27 15:31:14 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I have to implement a gateway between XML and standard databases like MS
SQL or Informix.

Scenerio:

A Java program (agent) wants to perform a DB query. The query parameters
are specified in form of an XML-document. The agent passes a handle to
this XML-query to the gateway. The gateway parses the XML and translates
it (according to application specific rulesets) into an SQL-statement.
The SQL-statement is send to the DB (e.g. via JDBC driver). The answer
to the query is transalted back to XML (according to another ruleset)
and passed to the agent.

Has anybody done something like that before? Is there a standard way to
implement it (besides the apllication specific translation rules)? If so
please let me know - I just don't want to re-invent the wheel...

Hans-Guenter
--

     Hans-Günter Stein, FAST e.V.

     Arabellastr. 17   | Tel +49-89-920047-55  | mailto:hgs at fast.de