XML DTD Syntax - A burning question

Paul Foster paul.foster at bt-sys.bt.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 19:46:02 BST 1998

Hi,
	Like most people when they first subscribe to a new mailing list it is
because they have a burning question they cant answer themselves.  I am
no exception.

My question regards the DTD syntax for Element Content as defined in
Section 3.2.1 of the XML V1.0 specification.

The '*' character following an  element name implies that the element
can occur zero or more times, '+' indicates it can occur one or more
times.  But, what happens in the unlikely event that I want to specify
that the element occurs exactly 50 times, or upto 50 times.  Is there a
short cut way of doing it or do I have to write the element name out 50
times.

I suppose the same question applies to the XML-Data spec wrt the
'OCCURS=' property.

Kind Regards
Paul Foster,
BT Labs, UK