Open standards processes

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sat May 2 01:07:01 BST 1998

At 14:31 01/05/98 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
[...]
>comparable to w3c-xml-sig at w3.org. The latter has published minutes,
>focused and moderated discussions that were carefully watched by
>essentially ALL members of the working group. The former is essentially a
>"feedback list" with little influence and hardly enough information to be
>influential even if it had more. I know, because I have the same role in
>both.
>
>> The "problem" with the XML SIG was that everyone on that list had to be
>> an "invited expert" and they were all bound by W3C-member confidentiality
>> regulations.  This was a logistic nightmare, and it actually meant that
>> some important discussion was pre-empted from truly public lists like
xml-dev.

>So the XML effort had three levels: "Voting members", "Influential
>non-voting experts" and "XML-DEV" and the DOM effort has essentially two
>levels "voting members" and "non-influential, non-voting experts" and you
>see that as more open? How so? Before there were some discussions I could

Just to clear up any confusion - XML-DEV is not a W3C mailing list and has
no formal part in the XML process - it's offered by the goodwill of Henry
and myself in case people find it useful. Also -as far as XML-DEV is
concerned - there is no reason why it can't play the same role for DOM as
XML if people want (I at least am going to start hacking the DOM at some
stage and will no doubt be asking the same sort of hairy questions as I ask
here).

I am reading the current discussion with interest.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)