SAX in Applets

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Mon May 4 16:09:49 BST 1998

I am trying to put together the JUMBO package to run as an applet as well
as an application. [Jumbo1.0 does this]. Since JUMBO2.0 is written in
JDK1.1, with Swing, there are some new aspects for me. I'd be very grateful
for any pointers - if you think they are general to XML-DEV, please reply
here, else to me.

I need three types of operation:

1. java/jre applications

2. applets from a remote site (i.e. from a server)

3. applets on the same file system (a CDROM) as the data and *.html

2 and 3 are close but there are differences in that the local CLASSPATH can
interact differently with the browser. For example, in 3 it was important
not to have a CLASSPATH set.

My current approach is to structure directories:

jumbo
	classes
		greetings.html (for driving the applet)
		*.jar  (aelfred.jar, sax.jar. swing.jar)
		jumbo
			xml
				Jumbo.class   (class files, etc.)
		greetings.xml	example files
		*.cfg	configuration files (e.g. parsers available, etc)

To run a jre we have:
jre -cp
C:\jumbo\classes;C:\jumbo\classes\aelfred.jar;C:\jumbo\classes\sax.jar;C:\ju
mbo\classes;C:\jdk1.1.5\classes.zip  jumbo.xml.Jumbo  greetings.xml

This works!

To run an applet the applet contains:

<APPLET WIDTH="300" HEIGHT="300" CODE="jumbo.xml.Jumbo"
ARCHIVE="aelfred.jar,sax.jar,swing.jar">
<PARAM NAME="COMMANDLINE" VALUE="greetings.xml">
</APPLET>

[I have not put Jumbo in a jar, though presumably I could do so.]

I'd be grateful for the following info:

- will the jar files sax.jar, swing.jar, etc. work in applets (are they
compressed? does it matter?)

- can the swing.jar be put in the Netscape *.jar library (I'm using
Netscape 4.05 which says it supports JDK1.1.5).

- do the top-of-the-classes and *.jar *have* to be in the same directory as
the  *.html (I believe this used to be a requirement).

- how do I manage resource files? In applications they can be picked up
either from a -D argument or - ?deprecated - from an environment variable.
This isn't possible for applets.

- if there are other problems (or solutions) I haven't thought of, I'd be
grateful.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg