Attributes with Intent

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Tue May 5 01:11:44 BST 1998

At 10:56 PM 5/4/98, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>At 16:32 04/05/98 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>>
>>Obviously, the last two are implemented using the first three to recursively
>>examine the ancestry of the current element.
>
>This is exactly was I was after :-).  These may seem nobrainers to you, but
>they aren't to people like me :-)

My appologies: it does seem obvious to me, but I've been doing this sort of
thing about 15 years now, so I guess it would. I've also had the advantage
of being able to crib from lots of good code (such as the old sgmls.pl that
you got with James Clark's old sgmls package...)...

There's probably an "XML Processing Patterns" book in there somewhere,
although I suspect that Bob Ducharme's book is that (I haven't read it yet).

>The point is not that it is not hard to *do*, it's knowing exactly *what*
>you have to do when.  For you it's second nature :-). That's why I'm
asking...

Again, good point...keep asking. I'll try to be a bit more supportive in my
answers.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)