Parents and children (was RFD: comp.text.xml)

Marcus Carr mrc at allette.com.au
Wed May 6 06:25:41 BST 1998

Paul Prescod wrote:

> <ASIDE>
> It will neither help nor hurt pedagogically to admit that these tools
> comes from the days before XML, and has been updated for the "Web
> generation." You can let your interest in history be your guide on that
> issue. Personally, when I teach Java, I like to remind my students of its
> (partial, indirect) roots in Lisp (among other languages). I say: give the
> devil his due. He may not turn out to be as evil as you thought he was.
> </ASIDE>

Thank you. And thank you Len Bullard also. Although SGML has its warts, many of
us have been using it and providing real solutions for many years - it is
disheartening to see it kicked from pillar to post, often by those who have never
had a commercial imperative to make it work. (This is a general observation and
is not necessarily directed at any of the current participants of this thread.)

That said, the parent/child analogy is entirely appropriate - the child has the
responsibility for forging its own way in a different world than the parent grew
up in, however the genetic bond is indisputable. XML wasn't invented, it was
selectively bred.

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc at allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info at allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774