SGML declaration for XML

Chris Maden crism at ora.com
Wed May 6 20:02:50 BST 1998

[Stefan Mintert]
> which is the correct SGML declaration for XML?
>
> I found three:
>
> 1a) <!SGML -- SGML Declaration for XML --
>        "ISO 8879:1986 (ENR)"
>
> 1b) <!SGML -- SGML Declaration for XML --
>        "ISO 8879:1986 (WWW)"
>

> 	both in http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-sgml-xml-971215
> 	Comparison of SGML and XML
>
> 2) <!SGML -- SGML Declaration for XML --
>      "ISO 8879:1986 (WWW)"
>
> 	in http://www.sgmlsource.com/8879rev/n1955.htm
> 	ISO 8879 TC2

XML is from the W3C.  Trust the resources from there.  The "SGML
Declaration for XML" in the corrigendum for SGML is a sample.  It is
in no way authoritative with respect to XML.

> As far as I know (1b) is correct, since XML 1.0 reads:
>
>   [5] Name  ::=    (Letter | '_' | ':') (NameChar)*
>
> which means, a Name may start (NAMESTRT) with a ':'

That's correct, in pre-namespace XML.  The namespace specification
will impose additional constraints which a namespace-aware processor
would enforce.

-Chris

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)