parser for xml-data?

Sudarshan Purohit sudar at pspl.co.in
Fri May 8 13:27:06 BST 1998

Ron Bourret wrote:

> Do you really mean you are moving data from an XML-Data document?  XML-Data is
> an XML language for describing metadata, including DTDs.  As such, the data in
> an XML-Data file is metadata, not data.  This is suitable if you want to create
> tables in the RDBMS that match the XML-Data schema.  However, an XML-Data file
> won't give you any data to put in those tables.

    Yes, you're right. My mistake. I'll be using the schema to create the tables,
then adding rows to this from other (XML) files.

> By the way, there was a question the other day about how one might actually
> deploy XML-Data as a substitute for a DTD.  Was this ever answered?

    I don't think so. What I'm doing at the moment is ignoring any other schema
that appears in the data file itself. So in a sense, I'm actually using the
XML-Data file as a DTD. I'm also not yet clear on whether and how the data file
refers to the schema. In my program the user will have to specify them both.

> Again, this makes sense if you are storing schema information, but I'm not sure
> that that is what you want.  The problem is one of creating a mapping from the
> DTD (expressed as a DTD, XML-Data, or another competing schema language) to
> tables/columns and then using that mapping to move data from an XML file (which
> uses that DTD) to the RDBMS.  You can certainly do this for a large number of
> DTDs -- I'm not yet convinced it is possible for all.

    Um, yes, actually the end result of my project should be an XML web page that
is  updated whenever a change is made in a company's database. I think I'll be
storing schema info at the same location so that the data is more generally
accessible.

Thanks ,

Sudarshan                         1700hrs.
PSPL,Pune                        8th may 98

The only difference between a rut and a grave is
the depth.
Sudarshan "Connection Machine" Purohit
Persistent Systems Private Limited, Pune