Character Encoding Detection

Chris Maden crism at ora.com
Fri May 8 20:11:47 BST 1998

[Chris Hubick]
> In the section on autodetection of character encodings the XML spec
> states "00 3C 00 3F: UTF-16, big-endian, no Byte Order Mark (and
> thus, strictly speaking, in error)"
>
> 	My question is, why is this an error rather than a perfectly
> acceptable untransformed UCS-2 document?

The XML spec states, by fiat, in 4.3.3, that "Entities encoded in
UTF-16 must begin with the Byte Order Mark".  So the reason the
example is an error is because the spec says so.

UCS-2 is identical to UTF-16, and so it is subject (presumably) to the
same rule.

As a side note, I was unsure until just now whether they were
equivalent, but I finally found ISO 10646-1 clause 8:

   Plane 00 of Group 00 shall be the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP).
   The BMP can be used as a two-octet coded character set in which
   case it shall be called UCS-2.

   Linkname: ISO/IEC 10646-1 including AMD 1 thru 4

-Chris

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)