A little wish for short end tags (Was: RE: SDD bogus)

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Fri May 8 22:44:53 BST 1998

At 10:38 PM 5/8/98 +0200, Jarle Stabell wrote:
>I would love to see empty end tags making it into the standard in the
>future. In many cases, one only marks up single words, and then empty end
>tags would justify having longer and more descriptive GI's, when forced to
>write both start and end tags fully, one may be too tempted to use
>"cryptic"/abbreviated GI's.

If you're going to ask for empty end tags for this, then why not go all the
way and reinstate NET-enabled start tags?

<Para>asd asdfasd <A.word.that.I.want.to.mark/theword/ and this is not
marked</Para>

Markup minimization is a slippery slope--in for a penny, in for a pound.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)