parser for xml-data?

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Sat May 9 02:56:16 BST 1998

From: Ron Bourret <rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>

> The only major difference I have found so far for XML is that the elements
in
> XML documents are ordered, while data members in OO programming languages
are
> not.

There is an error in the (January 5?) XML-data report, in the very first
example.
It gives the clear impression that XML-data does not constrain sequence for
the element types it describes. In the example, the declarations for the
element
types which can appear as the content of an element types are given in one
order, but the instance has them in another order.  (A Microsoft
representative
pointed this out to me: I dont know why they haven't just reissued the note,
since it
is a fairly cricitical point for implementors.)

Also note that the usage of ISO 8601 date formats seems to be wrong.
ISO 8601 date format is yyyy-mm-dd, e.g. 1998-05-09, and not 19980509,
last time I looked.

If anyone is thinking of implementing XML-data, I suggest they befriend the
authors, because the report misses out on several key issues. (I have
previously
mentioned that is does not seem to make clear whether you can have an
XML-data schema as part of a document, or whether it must be external. If it
is internal, can it describe the document's root element? I suppose a close
reading of the XML-data text might help, but it is not clear to me after
dozens of readings, but I do not claim to be particularly brilliant in this
area.)

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)