Short Tags

Michael Alaly alaly at inlink.com
Wed May 13 14:46:36 BST 1998

Just a small note I forgot to add in my last message:

An XML parser does have all of the information to be able to process a document with short tags if you don't care about debugging. However, if I have a document with 10 000 start tags and with 9 999 end tags, the only information a parser can give is that the document isn't valid. This is because it won't know which elements are complete and which are still open. If it made some futile attempt to detect by checking with the DTD and debugging that way, it still isn't exact. Whereas, using long tags the parser can search for exactly which tag isn't closed and output its starting line position. This makes debugging cause a lot less headaches.

Another part of my two cents,
Cheers,

Michael Alaly
alaly at inlink.com | 314.878.6474