WD of XSL requirements released

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Fri May 15 05:31:41 BST 1998

My favorite part: "Easy things should be easy."

Amen.

"Absolute/relative positioning, Layering, and Transparency
... Z-order for overlapping areas"

Does this include creating 3D objects such as indexed face
sets, graphic primitives, or only layering?

"Animation:  support for identifying and including encapsulated,
animated objects."

Loose.  Traditionally, that is a client plugin.  I understand
the idea, but avi, VRML, gif89 are all animation and very different
environments.  Animation can be a hub (eg, VRML anchors) so, an
example here would be appreciated.

"Callouts:  Linking hotspots to items in the flow of text. Another
aspect would be manipulating presentation of text within a CGM
graphic."

Callouts?  From the IETM community, I understand why
you want this, but it is an application content type and should
be defined in the DTD, not the style language although the style
language
specifies the rendering.  The CGM example seems odd since
that is a presentation language with text primitives.  Why are you
you are applying XSL style rules to CGM text types?  Just curious.

"Tables:  Support for the table models of CSS and DSSSL. Ability to
easily format popular source table models such as HTML and CALS."

Vague.  Is this interpreted that

1. XSL processors shall always
process CSS and DSSSL table models to a
feature set TBD

2.  XSL processors may optionally support HTML
and CALS table models

"Data Types:  Scalar types, units of measure, Flow Objects, XML Objects"

What are XML Objects?

"Scripting"

Ok.  This appears to limit XSL to transforms.  If so,
architecturally, how do scripting languages in the
other categories relate to XSL?  The "out of scope"
requirements are hard to interpret in light of current
scripting practice, eg, inline JavaScript.

"Acessibility"

What are audio stylesheets?

What are "accessibility mechanisms"?

"Persistent headers/footers w/scrolling body:  ability to specify
headers and/or footers that should be fixed at the borders of a
scrolling text area. This would provide the functionality most
commonly achieved with frames in HTML browsers today."

Loose.  Frames also encapsulate plugins which are active
hubs.  This feels like WinHelp, not an Internet browser,
so I am wondering what "functionality most commonly
achieved" is indicated, ie, just scrolling?

Overall, very good start.   It appears to be a
good sampling of all of the necessary techniques.

Len Bullard
Intergraph

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)