Report on the elimination of SGML AND groups (fwd)

Jani Jaakkola jjaakkol at cs.Helsinki.FI
Tue May 19 16:46:14 BST 1998

I'm sure that there are people in this list, who might find this
report interesting. However, be prepared for some theoretically
oriented computer science. You have been warned.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 12:44:54 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Pekka Kilpelainen <kilpelai at cs.helsinki.fi>
To: Anne.Brueggemann-Klein at informatik.tu-muenchen.de, dwood at cs.ust.hk,
    cmsmcq at tigger.cc.uic.edu, marcy at world.std.com,
    ak117 at freenet.carleton.ca
Cc: Helena.Ahonen at cs.helsinki.fi, Barbara.Heikkinen at cs.helsinki.fi,
    Oskari.Heinonen at cs.helsinki.fi, Jani.Jaakkola at cs.helsinki.fi,
    Pekka.Kilpelainen at cs.helsinki.fi, Greger.Linden at cs.helsinki.fi,
    Jyrki.Niemi at cs.helsinki.fi, Kimmo.Paasiala at cs.helsinki.fi
Subject: Report on the elimination of SGML AND groups

Dear colleagues, FYI: I have written a report, where I analyze the
possibilities and the lengtehening effect of replacing AND groups of
SGML content models by equivalent XML model groups.
The report is available as gnu-zipped Postscript through its
abstract page at the address

	http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~kilpelai/C-1998-12.html .

I include at the bottom the abstract of the report.

I would be thankful for any comments.

Yours, Pekka Kilpelainen

Pekka Kilpelainen, University of Helsinki, Dept. of Computer Science
      Email: Pekka.Kilpelainen at cs.helsinki.fi
      phone: +358 9 7084 4227, fax: +358 9 7084 4441
      http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~kilpelai

---------------------------

SGML & XML Content Models

Pekka Kilpeläinen

University of Helsinki, Department of Computer Science
Report C-1998-12, May 1998
16 pages
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/TR/C-1998-12/

The SGML and XML standards use a variation of  regular expressions
called content models for modeling the markup structures of document
elements. SGML content models may include so called AND groups, which
are excluded from XML. An AND group, which is a sequence of
subexpressions separated by an &-operator, denotes the sequential
catenation of its subexpressions in any possible order. If one wants to
shift from SGML to XML in document production, one has to translate SGML
content models to corresponding XML content models.

The allowed content models in both SGML and XML are restricted by a
requirement of determinism, which means that a parser recognizing
document element contents has to be able to decide without lookahead,
which content model token to match with the current input token, while
processing the document from left to right.  It is known that not all
SGML content models can be expressed as an equivalent XML content model.
It is also known that transforming an SGML content model into an
equivalent XML content model may cause an exponential growth in the
length  of the content model.  We discuss methods of eliminating AND
groups and analyze the circumstances where they can be applied. We
derive a tight bound of $e n!$ on the number of symbols in the result of
eliminating an AND group of $n$ symbols, where $e = 2.71828...$is the
base of natural logarithms.  We present the analysis in a pedagogical
manner, emphasizing mathematical methods which are typical to the
analysis of algorithms.  We also show that minimal deterministic
automata for recognizing an AND group of $n$ distinct element names
contain $2^{n}$ states and $n 2^{n-1}$ transitions, excluding the
failure state and transitions leading to it.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)