Q: SW for parsing DTD's

Mike Champion mcc at arbortext.com
Fri May 22 19:03:31 BST 1998

At 11:51 AM 5/22/98 -0400, Stefan Mintert wrote:

>For the project I'm currently working on, I need to parse DTD's and query
>information like this:
>
>- which elements are valid in a given context?
>- which elements can contain an element of a certain type?
>
>Do you know of any software that has similar functions as XML4J and that is
>free for unlimited (non-profit) use?

See http://www.docuverse.com/personal/freedom/index.html

I don't have personal experience with this package, but from xml-dev and
www-dom postings, I know that FREE-DOM uses the SAX interface to support
any of several Java XML parsers, and produces a set of data structures that
can be accessed with the DOM APIs.  So in principle, you should be able to
do more or less what you've done with  XML4JAVA with FREE-DOM.

I'm also excited to hear about your project because the DOM WG and mailing
lists have discussed whether/when the DOM should support XML validation
APIs. I've thought that this would be a good APPLICATION for the DOM, e.g.,
a XMLValidate JavaBean that uses the DOM to access the DTD information and
the document structure in order to answer the kinds of questions you pose,
and more generally, to allow the kinds of dynamic validation that XML
editors will need to do.

Good luck,

Mike Champion

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)