XSD: Proposed Goals, Rev. 3

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri May 29 06:03:16 BST 1998

>Tim's point is that a schema *is* metadata. If we accept that, and we
>consider RDF to be a complete and sufficent metadata framework, then we
>should implement XSchema as an RDF application. I'll have to think about
>this more.

I'll post this tonight, and maybe we'll have some replies by morning.

We can implement XSchema through RDF, if we choose.  Question #1 (it was going
to be #2, but all right) will be XSchema's relationship to RDF.  For the
goals, I'm going to change #11 from

11. The XSD specification will comply with and be consistent with W3C
recommendations regarding XML.

to:

11. The XSD specification will comply with and be consistent with W3C
recommendations.

W3C recommendations (or proposed recommendations we should comply with and be
consistent with) _include RDF_.  I don't feel comfortable _at this point_
committing the entire project to an RDF application, having spent a week
digesting the draft RDF proposal.  I would like to nail down the goals so we
can move on to more specific questions, including RDF, and I think this will
let us do that.

At this point, I'm also planning to change the name from XSD to XSchema.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)