Entities and namespaces in XSchemata

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Sat May 30 01:31:31 BST 1998

Peter wrote:

>This is probably blindingly obvious to everyone
>already (especially SGML experts) but I had a
>sudden revelation today.  Essentially everything
>that parameter entities do in ordinary DTDs maps
>onto general or text entities in XSchemata.

Actually, entities are what yanked me into this in the first place.  The
prospect of creating DTDs that could be referenced with XPointers and
repackaged into an equivalent to parameter entities made me very happy.
Namespaces also fit into this dream very well.

Manageable XSchemata... manageable XSchemata...  mmm...

We're not there yet, though.  I hadn't even thought about using traditional
general entities in the XSchematas, being too busy dreaming about my other
stuff.  They should definitely work for now!

Let's get elements and attributes happy, and then I hope we can (someday, in
2.0) turn to my dreams for entities.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)