XSchema Question 3: Internal/External subsets

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Sat May 30 22:39:17 BST 1998

At 16:40 30/05/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>This was actually one of the questions I was planning for the end, but
Peter's
>recent examples have made me move it to the front.
>
>Should XSchema provide internal and external subsets, as do XML DTD's?

Some clarification in terminology would help here :-).  There is:
	- an external DTD subset (in a file foo.dtd or xschema.dtd)
	- an internal DTD subset (within [...] in the DOCTYPE)
	- an external XSchema (in a file *.xsc)
	- an internal XSchema [subset] within <XSC:*> elements

There are several concerns.
	- should we allow DTD subsets and XSchemas to be mixed in a document
instance (whether delivered externally or internally)
	- should we allow internal XSchemas (if so, should we use RDF notation)
	- should we allow external XSchemas (I assume yes). If so, should they use
RDF?
	- should we allow internal and external XSchemas to be mixed.

If we can agree on internalXSchema and externalXSchema then the questions
are clearer.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg