CDATA by any other name... (was The raw and the cooked)

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Nov 2 17:25:53 GMT 1998

John Cowan wrote:

> DOM Level 1 is an ugly mess, and the only justification for it
> is to keep Netscape and Microsoft from implementing even uglier
> incompatible DOMs.

I think everyone recognizes some of the compromises that went
into DOM, and has a list of some mistakes they'd fix.  But I
don't think there's a good consensus on which things are mistakes
rather than features ...

To put it differently:  is there really room for another API
to represent XML structure?

I tend to think that DOM, warts and all, is "good enough" for
most purposes.  And for those other purposes, I suspect that
no standard API could suit.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)