CDATA by any other name... (was The raw and the cooked)

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Nov 3 18:07:28 GMT 1998

David Megginson wrote:

> I *do* see the usefulness in
> combination with an "xml:lang" or "mime-type" attribute, though.  An
> intelligent editor could already act on xml:lang to limit character
> selection, if such a thing were desirable.

Such an editor would have to be a durn sight more intelligent than
anything now available, because the repertoire of a language is
a sticky wicket.  In the domain of "xml:lang='en-US'", am I to be
forbidden to write "naïve" or "coöperate"?  How about "résumé" or
"Québéc"?

Harald Alvestrand worked for some years trying to nail down the
repertoires (répertoires?) of various European languages.  His
latest (1995) draft at http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/lang-chars.txt
warns how incomplete the results still are.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)