Storing XML documents in an OODB

Paul Butkiewicz pbutkiew at banta-im.com
Fri Nov 6 16:10:34 GMT 1998

I don't have any direct experience with Object Store, but for what it's
worth I do have a fair amount of background using Versant's OODB with Java.
With Versant, non-serialized persistent objects must extend other persistent
objects, so you might have some difficulty trying to use third party
objects.  Versant provides a post-processor that takes .class files and
modifies them to be persistent and you might be able to use that on a third
party class library, but some functionality may require vendor- or
OMG-specific collection classes or an intimacy with you XML implementation
classes themselves (for example, do you want to search on these objects?).
And then there's the pesky details --- if an internal function in a closed
implementation dereferences a now-persistent object expecting it to be
garbage collected by Java, now the dereferenced object will hang around the
database taking up space.

Anyway, I would recommend finding an open-source implementation that you can
tweak to work with Object Store, waiting for Object Store or a third party
to release a DOM implementation or whatever, or find someone otherwise
willing to share their source for you to tweak.  I probably fall into that
last category, but my code isn't quite ready for prime time yet.  :)

Paul Butkiewicz
arabbit at earthlink.net