XML Search Engine

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 7 00:31:16 GMT 1998

Tim Bray wrote:

> >Own experience is that relational vendors are complete uncapableof providing a
> >good solution for text retrieval. The products
> >are usually very poor on the funcionality side and miserable on
> >the performance side.
>
> That's really interesting information.  This is about the 5th time
> I've heard this; always anecdotal evidence, but it adds up. -Tim

It would be interesting to know why.  OTOH, there may be a market for
add-in functionality for applications that are of smaller scale and
tend to run locally.  It may be that as we learned from HTML, trying
to solve the ultimate problems before going to market is a way of
staying poor.

In the web business, and on every list I've participated
in, it is always difficult to get folks to consider alternative
markets for tools and content.  For example, in VRML, there is
an almost maniacal emphasis on the web while ignoring the CD
market where the problems of "heavy" datatypes are evident.
For example, any animation profits by *good sound* as can be
provided in a wav file, the human voice, etc.  It is only
recently that some are waking up to the potential of marrying
rock or pop albums to innovative 3D.  Because of the need to
rehost the art into new media every so often, there are lifecycle
problems which open content standards help to solve just as
markup technologies helped to solve these problems for
long lifecycle document collections.

Thar is life in them thar niches. :-)

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)