XMLizing Folders?

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Nov 8 23:27:00 GMT 1998

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 10:17 AM 11/8/98 -0800, Dave Winer wrote:
> >http://nirvana.userland.com/misc/rel200.xml
> >
> >Now I'll hear a crashing loud noise about namespaces and where's my DTD and
> >all that stuff. The point is, there should be a DTD for this type of
> >object.
>
> It's not obvious at all to me how a DTD would be useful in this app.  On
> the other hand, a stylesheet would be real nice. -Tim

Actually, I think a DTD could be very useful.  The issue is that most
of what goes into a "directory" is domain specific metadata; even for
files, different operating systems give very different metadata.  Is
there an Access Control List?  If so, is it POSIX?  What to do with
the entries?  What, no "hard link count"?  Is case significant?  Etc.

Conclusion being that there will probably be a core DTD and bunches
of domain-specific addons, each with their own namespaces.

Re crashing sounds, I was thinking about the security implications.
Browsing any directory -- filesystem, name service, phone book,
employee database, database catalog, etc -- is security-sensitive.

Yep, it'd hardly take any time at all to put together a servlet that
works this way ... ;-)

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)