Storing XML documents in an OODB

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 09:30:53 GMT 1998

>I want to write a Java- application which stores and retrieves XML
>documents in/from an object-oriented Database (Object-Store)

This is quite feasible to do, we have done similar things with the Jasmine
database. But a word of warning: if you do it mechanistically (each DOM
object becomes one database object) you will probably get poor performance.
You need to ask whether you really need to store data at this level of
granularity. If you generally end up retrieving most of the original
document, you would probably be better off to store the original XML as a
string and re-parse it. At any rate, do some experiments before you commit
yourself too far.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)