Full Disclosure: What The XML Processor Must Tell The XML Application

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Nov 10 07:53:06 GMT 1998

Robert C. Lyons wrote:

> List item #3 should be changed to the following (the changes are in bold):
>
> 3. An XML processor must pass the single character
 in place
> of
 or
 appearing in its input. (2.11)

Section 2.11 states, "To simplify tasks of applications, wherever an external parsed entity or the literal entity value of an internal parsed entity contains either the literal two-character sequence "#xD#xA" or a standalone literal #xD, an XML processor must pass to the application the single character #xA. (This behavior can conveniently be produced by normalizing all line breaks to #xA on input, before parsing.)"

These two sentences seem to contradict each other.  The first talks about internal and external parsed entities.  The second talks about all line breaks, which seems to imply the document entity as well.  As far as I can tell, the document entity is a parsed entity (this is never actually stated, but strongly implied and the only reasonable conclusion), but is neither internal nor external.

I assume that the second sentence is the correct one, as this is the only reasonable behavior from the application's point of view.  My point in bringing this up is not to throw a wrench into the works, but just to add this to the list of minor errata.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)