Endtag attributes

Anders W. Tell anderst at toolsmiths.se
Tue Nov 10 17:04:51 GMT 1998

Steve DeRose wrote:

> At 3:31 PM -0400 11/9/98, Anders W. Tell wrote:
> >

> I've seen them show up in HTML as typos. Perhaps you could describe
> specifically what it is you think they would be useful for.....

The UseCase that interests me is the class of attributes which cannot be created
without accessing all children, such as summation/aggregates.

This may be important when accessing xml data through Stream interfaces such as
SAX.
It may prove inefficient to process a large section of the stream before actually
writing the
attribute to the next stream in a chain of streams.

So adding an attributes at the end allows the developers to keep a pure stream
programming model without sacrificing performance.

One of the most interesting attributes is "Signature" which cannot be calculated
(write) before
the sub fragment has been processed. It s also impossible to validate (read) a
Signature
before the endtag arrives.

/anders
--