XLink - where are we? [tiny amount of frustration]

Ralph Ferris ralph at fsc.fujitsu.com
Tue Nov 10 20:11:53 GMT 1998

At 06:58 PM 11/10/98, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>I have designed my DTDs (CML and VHG) with the idea that there will be a
>linking mechanism similar to the current XLink. XLink (as XML-Link) was
>first announced about 18 months ago as far as I remember and it was
>certainly reasonable to expect that it would be in common use by now. The
>fact that it is not and we have no indication of timescales has - I suspect
>- disillusioned many people. I still keep the faith, but it's hard,
>especially when there are virtually no engines even in prototype that we
>can play with.

Apparently, my announcement of HyBrick 0.8 on this list - and several
others - has been completely overlooked by yourself and the other people
holding this discussion. HyBrick 0.8 is a working implementation of
XLink/XPointer available *now*. You can download the English-language menu
version from our site at FSC: http://collie.fujitsu.com/HyBrick/.
Japanese-language readers should go to
http://www.fujitsu.co.jp/hypertext/free/HyBrick/download2.html

Best regards,