XSchema

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Nov 11 12:42:21 GMT 1998

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> I have fitted it to JUMBO with the functions:
> 	- offering a list of potential child elements for a given element. [This
> doesn't yet do on-the-fly content validation and I doubt it will. It gives
> a JComboBox of the possible children. If someone has a Model validation
> routine I can fit it.] This allows XSchema-drive editing of element names
> and structure.

If I ever find time to write a validation module, on-the-fly validation should be a freebie.  I figure the validator will be a SAX parser filter initialized with an XSchema document.  The application (e.g. Jumbo) hooks this to a real parser, registers an ErrorHandler, and passes the Stream of XML to be validated; the return value from parse(), along with any values sent to the ErrorHandler, tell the application whether validation succeeded or not.

> I have used RonB's DTD2XSchema translator - works fine, but I think Ron
> said it needed slight tweaks.

Still needs updating to the latest spec.  Works starts this weekend.

> ** Is there a way of capturing the external DTD subset in SAX, or AElfred,
> or any other parser? It really only needs to capture the URL? Do I have to
> subclass an Entity handler? In this way it would be possible to read in the
> DTD automatically, transform to XSchema and display.] **
>
> ** Is there any way to extract the complete "DTD" - i.e. external and
> internal subsets (but without parameter/general entities) from
> SAX/AElfred/XYZPQR? **

I misread this at first.  What Peter wants is either (a) the system ID of the external subset, or (b) the stream of bytes in the complete DTD.  I assume the reason is so he can automatically feed it to my DTD-to-XSchema converter; currently, he would have to prompt the user for this information.

Another alternative is to fix my converter so it can read the DTD directly from the XML file and discards the rest (it currently reads only external subsets).  Is there any advantage to working only with external subsets?

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)