ID attribute defaults

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at dns.isogen.com
Thu Nov 12 03:06:30 GMT 1998

At 02:41 PM 11/11/98 -0500, John E. Simpson wrote:

>What am I missing? Is there some way both to use ID/IDREF *and* not require
>the document author to supply IDs on her own?

It's my personal feeling that the inability to provide defaults for ID,
IDREF(S), and ENTITY(IES) attributes is a bug (in SGML unavoidably
inherited by XML).  Document type designers should be able choose for
themselves what does and doesn't make sense in their applications.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)