Announce: Topic Map Standard out for Final Committee Draft Ballot

len bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Nov 17 00:29:51 GMT 1998

Hi Ralph:

I am reasonably sure that one can implement topic map
functionality in a set of relational tables and SQL queries, and then,
as with RDF, export a compliant SGML/XML instance of that
information.  Do you know of any reason why this would not
work?

I ask because as Rex notes, some groups are attempting
to build infrastructure for VRML communities that will be
realized as a database.  While topic maps are attractive,
I know of only two working implementations (it's been awhile so
if there are more, great) and neither of these are in widespread
use yet.  So to meet shortterm goals, a relational DB may
be the best approach.  Still, it may be useful to ensure
that topic maps can be produced to provide the information
to those systems that can use topic maps.

Therefore the question:  if one is to implement relationally,
what should one consider with an eye towards eventual use
of topic maps?

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)