Internal subset equivalent in new schema proposals?

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Fri Nov 20 21:17:59 GMT 1998

>Instead of an internal subset B of an external schema A, would it be better
>to make B also an external schema "inheriting" A in some way?
>(For general processing, stylesheets, reuse etc, wouldn't it be best to
>externalize as much as possible?)

Interesting question.  I just found out that XSchema does allow inline
XSchema elements (5.1.2) but I am not sure if it supports schema
inheritance.

Actually, my questions were more or less regarding existing support.  DCD,
XML-Data, and RDF does not seem to support inline schema although they do
allow declaration of datatypes in data instances.

I think inline schema is particularly important in applications like digital
television and smart cable boxes where content variation is tremendous.  It
is possible to do this through multiplexing/tunneling but it would be nice
to have a single stream of XML data which can handle open variety of
contents (drama, shows, program schedule, advertisement, closed captions,
etc.)

Don Park

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)