Internal subset equivalent in new schema proposals?

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 09:43:49 GMT 1998

Don Park wrote:
>I think inline schema is particularly important in applications like
digital
>television and smart cable boxes where content variation is tremendous.

I think inline schema is absolutely pernicious in such applications (which
is the area I am currently working in). The idea that a content author can
subvert the intentions of the content designer by modifying the schema on a
per-instance basis is too horrible to contemplate. There is an application
(perhaps in the set top box) that thinks it understands the structure of
things like the electronic programme guide, and that therefore relies on
today's guide conforming to the same schema as yesterday's.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)