Internal subset equivalent in new schema proposals?

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Thu Nov 26 21:08:20 GMT 1998

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> XML is not a "data exchange language" but a "data markup language". More
> than
> ASCII, less than serialization.

A narrower classification would be more accurate. As Mr Jelliffe illustrates
later in his note, since the descriptive capacity of XML is limited to
internal properties, XML is not even a "markup language", but rather a "markup
encoding". The difference is significant in that, once one acknowledges this
fact, any demands that the standard describe semantic properties of the
encoded data no longer even make any sense. It also becomes appearent that
successive layers are the way to go and the problem becomes much easier to handle.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)