"Chinese XML Now!" Project

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Sat Nov 28 16:58:33 GMT 1998

Rick,

> Initially we will target the Big5 encoding only. (Other groups may
> contribute other Chinese encodings.)

For the record, we've had several reports of successful use of
Sun's XML package with the Big5 encoding.  Just using the JDK's
built-in support seems to work nicely for Java based systems.
(I think that information should help address both your goals!)

For the edification of those of us who aren't fluent in Chinese,
could you perhaps summarize what Big5 does?  Is it superset of
ASCII that supports traditional Chinese glyphs?  How does Big5
differ from other encodings that support similar glyphs?  Who
uses Big5?

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)