Why XML data typing is hard

Liam R. E. Quin liamquin at interlog.com
Mon Nov 30 20:49:08 GMT 1998

Henry S. Thompson writes:
> if we add sensitivity to language to our lexical typing, I might write
>
> <balance xml:lang='fr'>4,50</balance>
> <balance xml:lang='ar'>&#x0664;&#x066B;&#x0665;&#0660;</balance>
[...]

david at megginson.com wrote:
> It sounds quite plausible: it still places a burden of locale handling
> on the processor or the application, but that's inevitable when we're
> dealing with lexical constraints.  At least with this approach the
> application will be able to fail gracefully:
>

>   Warning: sample.xml line 18 column 12: Cannot validate constraint
>            "float" for unsupported language "ar" (trying default
>            locale en-CA).

Where did the word "float" come from in that error message?

Is it part of an augmented DTD or Schema, or a stylesheet, or is it
wired in to the application?

Maybe what you really need is
    <balance xml:type="float" xml:lang='ar'> ...
instead?

Lee

--
Liam Quin, GroveWare Inc., the barefoot programmer
l i a m q u i n   at   i n t e r l o g   dot   c o m

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)