Web server logs in XML?

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Thu Oct 1 11:33:55 BST 1998

Michael,

>I have no question that XML will grow to rule the world, but I'm trembling
>at the thought that somebody might take all of the science discussed here a
>bit to literally and force me to get another 5 or 6 10gb drives and make me
>keep my logs in raw xml.

1. Using XML just for describing the structure of the data makes no sense
because you can not use generic XML tools to process the data.

2. Compression reduces file size difference to 10%-30%.

3. Cost of 10 Gig drives will be considerablly less by the time server
vendors stop supporting legacy log formats.

4. Due to the Y2K problem, concerns for compactness is equated with
shortsightedness these days.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse