Web server logs in XML?

Norman E. Wilson nwilson at programmar.com
Fri Oct 2 21:53:51 BST 1998

Dean Roddey wrote:

> I have to agree with your sentiments in many ways. Basically there is always a
> tendency towards
> seeing everything as a nail when you just have a hammer (witness the Java
> phenomenon.) I believe
> that overselling any technology is probably a bad thing and I think that XML is
> being way oversold
> in some cases (in many cases for no other reason than to increase a products
> 'buzz word quotient').

On the other hand, part of the buzz generated by a "new technology”
comes from being able to look at stubborn technical challenges (e.g.,
persistence, independence, naming, information sharing, reuse, etc.) in
a brand new way.  As evidenced by some of the discussions here, I think
this is a healthy, productive and necessary process; yielding a
continuous flow of new (though incomplete) insights into these
challenges.  I agree that there’s a real danger of undermining an effort
by over-hyping it.  At the same time, I believe that the process of
rethinking old problems from new perspectives (and based upon novel
opportunities) is critical to ongoing innovation.  Perhaps this is not
the correct forum for doing this (I'm new to the group, too); and
obviously these considerations need to be carefully balanced.

By the way, where can I get my copy of CXML?  :-)

Norm Wilson
NorKen Technologies
nwilson at programmar.com
http://www.programmar.com