It's time for practical XML!

David Brownell db at Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Oct 4 18:07:45 BST 1998

Paul Prescod wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
> >
> > * rock-solid XML parsers for every platform
> >   under the sun, especially business development
> >   tools like: Visual Basic, Delphi, Powerbuilder,
> >   etc.
>
> It would be foolhardy for anyone to make a commercial parser when
> Microsoft already has promised that one will ship as a COM object with
> every version of Windows and Internet Explorer.

And that one's not "commercial"?  Hmm ... what about all the
operating systems that Microsoft doesn't monopolize?  I hope
you're not saying they will never want XML support!

I suspect you really meant to say that core XML infrastructure
(parser, DOM, etc) was not an area where application developers
would ever want to spend big bucks.  I think that's true.  But
folk will still need rock-solid, and 100% conformant, parsers
along with such tool support.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)