combining xml files in the browser

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 17:46:44 BST 1998

>1) write a server-side thing that parses all the individual
>xml objects, and constructs a single xml or html document
>for the browser
>2) similar to (1), except don't do any parsing: just cat
>the multiple xml objects together, and make the browser
figure
>it out with the aid of a stylesheet.

I'm doing a combination of these quite successfully: store
lots of small XML fragments in an SQL database, retrieve
those that are required using SQL in a servlet or ASP page,
concatenate them to create a single XML document that
contains the information the user wants and not much else,
then parse this and convert to HTML. I do this final stage
server-side as well, having got my fingers burnt with
browser configuration problems, but I'd see it as happening
client-side eventually.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)