Any implementations of notations?

Amit Rekhi amitr at abinfosys.com
Tue Oct 6 05:33:10 BST 1998

Hello,
            After having sought the advice of XML gurus on this list , I
have learnt that the <!NOTATION> type can be used for data validation of
element content. eg.

<? xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE start [
    <!NOTATION AlphaCheck SYSTEM "AlphaCheck.cmp">
    <!ELEMENT start (#PCDATA)>
    <!ATTLIST start datatype-validate NOTATION (AlphaCheck)  #FIXED
"AlphaCheck">
]>
<start>TestData</start>

The SystemID =AlphaCheck.cmp could point to a COM component containing
validation routines.

QUESTIONS

* I am in the process of trying to incorporate the use of notations in an
XML based system I am working on, I was looking for some implementations
involving notation use that could  give me a clear picture of how user
applications process the notational data (SystemID etc) given to it by the
XML parser.

Any clues/information/implementations on such types of XML applications?

* Would anyone be knowing of any XML application which uses NOTATIONS the
way I aspire to use them (as shown in the eg. above)?

I have been told that datatype validation is taken care of by the
DCD/XSchema specs, but they are yet to reach proper standardisation and so I
look at notations within DTDs for taking care of my immediate need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

AMIT

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)