TLAs (was: SOX)

Tyler Baker tyler at infinet.com
Tue Oct 6 17:41:40 BST 1998

John Cowan wrote:

> I think that to avoid massive confusion this list needs to drop
> "SOX" immediately and adopt another name, given the appearance of a
> W3C note called "SOX" (yet another XML schema language).

How about SEX (Simple Element-Oriented XML).  At least it would get the attention
of the developer community and probably every cultural commentator as well (-:

Seriously, do we really need the S for simple?  I mean SAX is simple in how it
presents parsed XML data to the application, but working with it is not quite as
simple as it is a relatively low-level interface.

Another question is do we really need an anacronymn.  Programmers have this
tendency to describe everything in terms of anacronyms, many of which don't make
sense as they simply try and satisfy the requirement that an anacronymn be able
to be pronounced in speech.

Hey I am at a loss of words at the moment for a good name of what was tentatively
called SOX so maybe we should have a contest for the best name here and vote on
it.

Tyler

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)