Microsoft COM parser (was Re: It's time for practical XML!)

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Wed Oct 7 11:23:12 BST 1998

At 12:14 7/10/1998 , you wrote:

  | > I think I'll jump on this, the second reference, to
  | > Microsoft's promised COM object.
  | >
  | > A couple of points:
  | >
  | > * So we want XML to be tied to the great monopoly?
  |
  | No. But if I was going to make software to compete with the Great
  | Monopoly, it would have to be free software. Commercial software is more
  | expensive to develop, and the chances of making the money back are small.
  | But you claim that free software isn't good enough. So what's the
  | incentive?

Well, if XML is going to have the huge impact everyone is hoping,
then there will be a market, and therefore a source of revenue.

Quite simply, those who are willing to lead the way when an idea
is small will reap the benefits a thousand-fold when the market
explodes in size. Take Netscape for example.

As an SGML/XML consultant and software developer, I would not
use free software unless: it had been through a number
of versions; it was widely used; I had access to the source.
Even then, I would have doubts.

While there are a few obvious counter-examples (Linux and
Apache), I would really rather use commercial software,
and pay for it.

I don't need an XML version of Word. Just a lightweight
XML editor that can be embedded as a component in my
Delphi/etc applications. It doesn't have to support
graphics, namespaces, XLink, DCD, etc. Just DTDs and
ideally a tiny bit of formatting to make it look nice
for the user.

Now I am contemplating developing this myself, simply
to use in a project I am currently working on. I
have the funds, but not the time.

So, is there anyone out there, preferably in Australia,
who has the expertise and time to do some contract
programming on this?

Cheers,

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd