Looking for a redistributable XML editor

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 17:38:27 BST 1998

At 13:23 08/10/98 +0100, Chris Brew wrote:
>XED is a text editor for XML document instances. It is designed to
[...]
>and (on distributablity)
>
>5. XED availability
>
>Beta versions of XED are available for trial
>evaluation and individual use. I will not be posting new release
>announcements as I fix bugs, but I will respond to all bug reports. This
>beta release, in contrast to the alpha releases up until now, includes a
>self-extracting installation for WIN32 users

And he also says:

"Onward distribution or component reuse is <emph>not</emph> allowed."

"Evaluation" and "Individual use" - phrases which occur in several
pre-release and *-lite products - would clearly seem to prohibit:
	- public demonstration (not "individual use")
	- handing copies to students ("onward distribution")

I am not being picky - I take copyright very seriously - and try to honour
both the letter and the spirit of the author.

Also, it has been suggested that I distribute XML Notepad (Microsoft). I
have not seen the terms of this but even if they allow free distribution it
requires the recipient to have MSIE 4 installed. I cannot redistribute this
either technically or legally :-)

Note that "free" often does not mean redistributable.

	P.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg