XObjects (was TLAa was SOX)

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Oct 12 12:10:34 BST 1998

I'm not sure who it was that wrote:
>>i think the above is at the right level. Is this part of a domBuilder
>>interface?
>>
>>if so should 'convert' be 'build'
>>
>>        public interface domBuilder
>>        {
>>                        public org.w3c.dom.Document
>> build(org.xml.sax.InputSource inputSource)
>>                        throws SAXException;

I cannot resist reminding you of my posting to this list on 25 Sep 1998 in
which I suggested:

public interface DOMBuilder
{

/**
* Define the parser to be used when building the DOM.
* The DOM implementation is free to ignore this and use its
* own parser if it wishes.
*/

public void setParser (Parser parser);

/**
* Build the DOM document from an input source.
* @param source The InputSource to use.
* @return The DOM Document object that results from
* parsing the input.
*/

public Document build (InputSource source)
throws java.io.IOException, org.xml.sax.SAXException;

}

Well, great minds think alike... FWIW, I have implemented this interface for
the DOM products from Docuverse, SUN, and IBM in a new version of SAXON that
is not yet released.

One reservation I do have about this discussion is that a lot of people are
proposing using an XML document as the primary way of defining the mapping
from element types to element-handling classes. I think there are many
situations where that's fine, but I've also seen SAXON applications where it
wouldn't be, because the mappings change with time or are set up by
higher-level software. Better to define the mapping table as a Java object
with methods to add or remove or change individual mappings; it's then easy
to add a layer on top of this to load the mappings from an XML document in
the case where they are sufficiently static.

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)