A call for open source DTDs

david at megginson.com david at megginson.com
Wed Oct 14 19:24:54 BST 1998

John Cowan writes:

 > IBTWSH is in the public domain, though I retain the moral right
 > (not a legal right) to be known as its author.  See
 > http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/ibtwsh.dtd .  Part of the reason for
 > that was to avoid conflicts with HTML 4.0, of which it makes
 > occasional fair use (mostly by accident).

Sometimes the public domain makes the most sense -- it's a leap of
faith (or, at least, generosity), in that you're allowed for the
chance that someone else might make a lot of money from your work
without giving you any.  Like IBTWSH, SAX is and will remain in the
public domain (not GPL'd, BSD'd, or anything like that).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/